09 September 2005

Writing win32 applications with python and glade

What is python?
To this question, I will be able to write a 200-pages book to descrive how wonderful is python, how powerful is python, how clear is python... I can be a good python prophet !!! But to be unbiased I will quote the definition that can be found in Python homepage:

"Python is an interpreted, interactive, object-oriented programming language. It is often compared to Tcl, Perl, Scheme or Java.

Python combines remarkable power with very clear syntax. It has modules, classes, exceptions, very high level dynamic data types, and dynamic typing... Python is also usable as an extension language for applications that need a programmable interface.

The Python implementation is portable: it runs on many brands of UNIX, on Windows, OS/2, Mac, Amiga, and many other platforms..."


What is Glade?
"Glade is a free user interface builder for GTK+ and Gnome".

There is a GTK+ binding for python and thanks to Glade it's possible to create an ui in a visual way.

I decided to write an article explaining how to use python and glade to create win32 apps (a compiled app!!!).
I stopped writing articles and books for 5 months so it's my first article of the year (I hope I will be able to write a new security book this year).

In this article, I show how I coded BitPodder: from the ui creation with Glade to the making of the installer with NSIS and zip2exe. I hope this article will help people that start pygtk programming...

Here is the index of the article:
- License
- What are we going to do?
- What you should have before starting...
- What is PyGTK?
- Let us start
- Building the windows
- How to code this app in python?
- How to compile BitPodder?

This article can be found at: http://www.nzeka-labs.com/BitPodder_doc.pdf and http://sourceforge.net/projects/korriban/.